[cc-devel] In liblicense, why does Raptor support the old namespace?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Thu Jan 10 17:35:24 EST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Jason Kivlighn wrote:

> The only reason web.resource.org is in there is because Inkscape for a
> long time produced SVG's that used this namespace.  I decided in
> liblicense to write the new namespace unless there was already license
> metadata present and that license metadata used the old namespace.  Most
> likely that metadata was written by Inkscape and, so that it could
> subsequently still be read by Inkscape, the namespace is left as
> web.resource.org.  Toward the end of the summer, my patch to have
> Inkscape read and write the new namespace got committed to svn.  So I'd
> assume that most SVG's in the wild that have license metadata are using
> the old namespace.
>
> I know... supporting legacy standards is a pain, but I'm trying to avoid
> confusion on the user end (at the expense of the developer end,
> unfortunately).

"Sadly," that's what us developers are here for. (-:

Sounds good - thanks for the solid explanation.

NY and ML - maybe a year from now liblicense should migrate old-namespace
metadata to the new namespace?  Perhaps right now it should add a
duplicate of the old metadata in the new namespace?

If there's no quick consensus, I'm willing to put that off until past 0.5.

-- Asheesh.

--
Twenty two thousand days.
Twenty two thousand days.