[cc-devel] liblicense help: libexempi not reading back some predicates?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Wed Dec 24 13:04:37 EST 2008

Howdy Hub (and hello cc-devel, CC:d),

First of all, happy post-Solstice, and merry Christmas! I hope this email
finds everyone well.

I'm trying to verify liblicense's support for storing and retrieving
predicates in non-CC namespaces, such as dc:creator.  I'm having some
problems with Exempi that, now that I've spent a fair bit of time looking
at alone, I am kind of clueless as to why it doesn't work the way I
expect.  I wondered if you might be able to help.

To grab the liblicense code I'm confused by, do this:

$ git clone git://code.creativecommons.org/liblicense
$ cd liblicense
$ git branch asheesh-experimental-two origin/asheesh-experimental-two
$ git checkout asheesh-experimental-two
$ git submodule init && git submodule update
$ ./autogen.sh && make check

You'll see one test fails, the predicate read/write test.  The specific
line that fails is exempi reading back dc:creator.  The code path is
pretty simple; modules/io/exempi.c's exempi_write() writes the predicate,
and exempi_read() in the same file reads it.  Exempi prefers to see
predicates as a pair of (namespace, name), whereas we prefer to see
predicates as atomic URIs; the result is that in modules/io/shared_xmp.c,
I have a silly function (which yes, should not return a struct) that
splits up a uri into a namespace and a "rest" (a qualified name).

In the test that fails, we attempt to write and read dc:creator.

Note that if you employ this *horrendous hack*, exempi seems to
successfully read and write the result.  Specifically, if you try to write
the invalid predicate of dc:morePermissions instead of dc:creator, it
reads back fine.  To see this, simply change the ret.rest on line 31 of
shared_xmp.c to "_ll_shared_xmp_morepermissions" and re-run "make check".

I'm quite spooked by this and wanted to check in with you, Hubert, to see
what you make of it.

-- Asheesh.

P.S. My deepest thanks to you already, Hubert, for your help with other
liblicense issues, especially the test suite!

--
Avoid reality at all costs.