[cc-devel] License Metadata Extraction and Search, Summer of Code

Luke Hoersten luke.hoersten at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:26:33 EDT 2007

Jason,
I did something similar to this last year for SoC and it resulted in a
new CC library called cc-sharp:
http://code.google.com/p/cc-sharp/

So your project could have two parts: the 1) license handling and then
2) integrating that data with the desktop search application. If you
wanted to use C# (Beagle), I'd help flesh out cc-sharp with you and
you could work on the integration.

The other C# CC lib around is CCLicenseLib which hasn't been developed
in four years.
http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/cclib

It contains object representations of the older CC licenses. It would
be nice to make one condensed lib for CC stuff in C# so developers for
other projects could easily integrate with their software. I see it
being laid out as such:

- Attaching licenses to media
- Reading licenses from meda
- Verifying licenses

This desktop search idea would primarily use reading and verifying.
Right now all cc-sharp does is verify because I was originally working
on Banshee. Banshee already had read the metadata from the MP3 via my
patch so all my lib really was, was an abstraction of the
verification. Since verification is done over the Internet, that's not
really something you want to include by default in core application
code.

I'd like to abstract license reading so we can just "plug" support for
different file types to be read whether they are images, audio, etc.
Kind of like vfs.

What are your thoughts?

-Luke

On 3/21/07, Jason K <jkivlighn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into adding support for searching/indexing licenses for a
> service such as Tracker, Beagle, or Strigi for a Google SoC project.  My
> first hurdle though, is picking which indexer.  The ideal service would
> be cross-desktop, to avoid implementing extraction filters over and over
> again for different indexers.  It also needs to be widely adopted.
>
> Tracker is looking like a good candidate, given that it is a
> Freedesktop.org project, is desktop-neutral, and appears to have the
> intention of following standards as well as creating standards for other
> search services to use.  I get the impression GNOME will be including
> this soon.
>
> Strigi is also desktop-neutral, though favored by KDE and is going to be
> used by KDE 4.  It doesn't rely on KDE, though.  In fact, Strigi's only
> requirements are are the stdc++ libraries, while Tracker is glib-based.
>
> And for Beagle, Mono is one significant reason I'm shying away from it.
> Tracker or Strigi appear more interoperable and look to be getting wider
> adoption.
>
> Formats I plan to include are:
>   HTML, SVG, SMIL, XML in general (RDF)
>   PDF, JPEG, other images (XMP)
>   MP3, OGG, other audio/video
>   RSS
>
> >From what I've seen, most license data is either in RDF or XMP form.
> MP3, OGG, and RSS are exceptions.  For all these formats, I would follow
> the embedding specification on the Creative Commons website, at
> http://creativecommons.org/technology/usingmarkup
>
> Since most licenses are placed in RDF or XMP, that code can be separated
> and reused from various extraction modules.
>
> So enough rambling... thoughts?
>
> -Jason Kivlighn

Luke Hoersten
http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/lhoerste/