[cc-devel] Google Summer of Code 2007 Application

François Déchelle francois at dechelle.net
Wed Mar 21 05:36:57 EDT 2007

Jon Phillips a écrit :
> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:17 -0400, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
>
>>On 3/19/07, Cassio Melo <cassio.ufpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there,
>>>
>>>I planning to submit an application for Google Summer of Code 2007 but
>>>before that I'd like to hear from you some opinions about my ideas:
>>>
>>>- An OpenOffice Writer add-on for publishing and searching CC licensed
>>>documents;
>>
>>I haven't thought much about integrating search, but an OpenOffice.org
>>implementation of what the Microsoft Office Addin
>>(http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Microsoft_Office_Addin) does would be
>>killer.  Some additional thoughts on how it might work are available
>>at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/OpenOfficeOrg_Addin.

 > [...]

> Hi Cassio, yes, I think both of these sound interesting. In particular,
> the OO.o plugin that would be for all OO.o would be brilliant. I think
> of major importance is how to specifically add this support to OO.o.
>
> I think there is the plug-in level support and also seeing how a
> contribution could be added to OO.o so that it ships as default in OO.o.
>
> Anyhow, I'm cc'ing OO.o's community manager, who can comment on this
> add-in some more and hopefully help you shape your application.
>
> Louis, we are taking the approach this year to add CC support to key
> applications in FLOSS. Please assist :)
>
> Jon

Hello,

I have started working with Laurent Godard, an OpenOffice developer, on
the Creative Commons add-on for Open Office; there is a (yet empty) wiki
page in Open Office extensions wiki
(http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions_repository/Creative_Commons)
and a cvs repository. I have not had much time yet to make progress on
the implementation, but I am willing to do it and will have more time in
the next weeks to work on it. I do agree that adding CC support to OO.o
is very important.

I think that there are some issues related to copyright if we want that
the CC add-on is integrated in OO.o (which would be the best solution).
Sun requires that people using the open office cvs sign a joined
copyright agreement, which I did. The licence of the add-on is LGPL of
course.

Of course, the GSoC will help, and I don't think that the job will be
finished by this summer. If I can be of any help in shaping the
application, please let me know.

I'll fill the wiki page asap and make an announce on cc-devel.

Best,

François