[cc-devel] Google Summer of Code 2007 Application

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Mar 19 19:53:20 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:17 -0400, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Cassio Melo <cassio.ufpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I planning to submit an application for Google Summer of Code 2007 but
> > before that I'd like to hear from you some opinions about my ideas:
> >
> > - An OpenOffice Writer add-on for publishing and searching CC licensed
> > documents;
>
> I haven't thought much about integrating search, but an OpenOffice.org
> implementation of what the Microsoft Office Addin
> (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Microsoft_Office_Addin) does would be
> killer.  Some additional thoughts on how it might work are available
> at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/OpenOfficeOrg_Addin.
>
> > - A Google Desktop plugin for searching CC licensed content
>
> That could be interesting; are you thinking about searching the user's
> hard drive for CC licensed content or providing a web search interface
> for searching CC licensed content?  In the former case, have you
> thought much about how to handle the different file formats?
>
> Thanks for your interest; looking forward to your application,
>
> Nathan

Hi Cassio, yes, I think both of these sound interesting. In particular,
the OO.o plugin that would be for all OO.o would be brilliant. I think
of major importance is how to specifically add this support to OO.o.

I think there is the plug-in level support and also seeing how a
contribution could be added to OO.o so that it ships as default in OO.o.

Anyhow, I'm cc'ing OO.o's community manager, who can comment on this
add-in some more and hopefully help you shape your application.

Louis, we are taking the approach this year to add CC support to key
applications in FLOSS. Please assist :)

Jon

--
Jon Phillips