[cc-devel] iTunes DJ program development

Brandon Keim brandon at earthlab.net
Fri Mar 16 22:16:48 EDT 2007

Dear Developers,

My apologies if I'm using this list incorrectly, but I've been
bouncing around an
idea for an iTunes plugin and -- lacking the ability to actually
write it -- and hoped I could find people interested in developing it.

The idea originates in the limited capabilities of iTunes to act as a
DJ.  One can make playlists or play within genres, but these are
static.  The shuffle feature is good to a point, but random isn't
always desired.  Nothing exists for someone who wants a hands-off
program that selects tunes with continuity.

I imagine a program that lets users assign numerical values -- 0 to
9, say -- to songs according to a set of categories.  These could be
user-defined; I think of them as earth, wind, fire, water and
silicon.  (At the moment, for example, I'm listening to "Pagina Seis"
from Prefuse 73 Reads The Books; I'd give it an earth of 7, wind of
3, fire of 4, water of 2, and silicon of 5.  The combined score is 21).

The program would then match each following song according to the
categories.  The next song would have a similar combined score, but
perhaps a little more fire and less silicon.  Et cetera.

The user could specify starting and end points, and points in
between: for example, a set could go from high-air to high-fire to
high-water music, with the combined score starting low and gradually
ending high, or varying only slightly from song to song.  In short,
it'd be an automated DJ.

If this sounds interesting, send me an email.  I'm not a programmer,
but would be happy to connect people interested in working on it, and
provide any feedback I could during development.

Sincerely,

Brandon Keim

brandon at earthlab.net

p.s.  The iTunes DJ idea described above is licensed under a Creative
Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.