[cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun May 7 17:55:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 22:58 +0200, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:09:13AM +0530, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I was looking at the Google Summer of Code proposals, and the Creative
> > Commons LiveCD proposal caught my eye. Talking to people on #cc on IRC,
> > threw up a few interesting possibilities.
> > "tannewt" suggested that instead of a Linux LiveCD, I could make CD
> > resembling the OpenCD (http://www.theopencd.org) with CC-licensed content
> > and maybe a few applications to work on the material, like audacity, etc.
> >
> > I'd like to know the opinion of people on the possible structure of the CD.
> > Will a traditional Linux live CD be a better idea, or is the OpenCD style CD
> > more useful ? Please suggest ideas that you would like to see implemented on
> > the CD.
>
> Wouln't a GNU/Linux live CD containing CC licensed content and CC-enabled
> applications the right solution?  People with Windows could still access the
> content, but the CD could also be used as a showcase of the possibilities of
> "free culture" works - from functional content (software) non non-functional.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrea

I think they are both good solutions. However, the LiveCD would require
one to reboot, which kind of sucks, but TheOpenCD-style would allow for
one to just run the software and use content.

Really, I'm curious how the proposals will sound and how they address
the main sustainability arguments I brought up in other emails (and on
the challenge).

Jon

--
Jon Phillips