[cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun May 7 17:52:39 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 01:09 +0530, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> Hi,
> I was looking at the Google Summer of Code proposals, and the Creative
> Commons LiveCD proposal caught my eye. Talking to people on #cc on
> IRC, threw up a few interesting possibilities.
> "tannewt" suggested that instead of a Linux LiveCD, I could make CD
> resembling the OpenCD ( http://www.theopencd.org) with CC-licensed
> content and maybe a few applications to work on the material, like
> audacity, etc.
>
> I'd like to know the opinion of people on the possible structure of
> the CD. Will a traditional Linux live CD be a better idea, or is the
> OpenCD style CD more useful ? Please suggest ideas that you would like
> to see implemented on the CD.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Soumyadip Modak
> soumyadip.modak at gmail.com
> soumyadip at ubuntu-in.org
> http://people.ubuntu-in.org/~soumyadip/blog

Hmmm...I think that it is really up to you to propose a really great
project. I'm very interested in this idea of TheOpenCD, as it lowers the
barrier for getting open content and open source by providing these
assets on a disc that works on standard WINDOWS, MAC, etc.

Hopefully though, this type of project would be made sustainable and not
just a one-off, that has bitrot shortly after completed.

Rather, the livecd and this type of disc, should really have associated
code/scripts to automate the packaging process and be based on some
solid technology that is going to vaporize in a few months, etc.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA