[cc-devel] CD containing CC-licensed material

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Thu May 4 16:58:45 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:09:13AM +0530, Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> Hi,
> I was looking at the Google Summer of Code proposals, and the Creative
> Commons LiveCD proposal caught my eye. Talking to people on #cc on IRC,
> threw up a few interesting possibilities.
> "tannewt" suggested that instead of a Linux LiveCD, I could make CD
> resembling the OpenCD (http://www.theopencd.org) with CC-licensed content
> and maybe a few applications to work on the material, like audacity, etc.
>
> I'd like to know the opinion of people on the possible structure of the CD.
> Will a traditional Linux live CD be a better idea, or is the OpenCD style CD
> more useful ? Please suggest ideas that you would like to see implemented on
> the CD.

Wouln't a GNU/Linux live CD containing CC licensed content and CC-enabled
applications the right solution?  People with Windows could still access the
content, but the CD could also be used as a showcase of the possibilities of
"free culture" works - from functional content (software) non non-functional.

Cheers,

Andrea