[cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Aug 23 16:52:00 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:40 -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:

> > Just looked at the administration interface -- 17, including CC
> > employees (Mike & I).

> > I'm not sure how this is different than our current situation, where
> > wiki.creativecommons.org hosts the Wiki.  I think a single Wiki is best
> > for us organizationally at this point, so dev.creativecommons.org would
> > at most just be a mirror for wiki.cc.org.
>
> Right, it would just be a line in apache to direct to the wiki page for
> developers. So, no new wiki.
>

> > > As for the wiki itself I would like to strive to a wiki structure as
> > > made by the Wordpress people. Their wiki rocks! See
> > > http://codex.wordpress.org
> >
> > Yeah, they have great documentation.  90% of what makes it great (in my
> > opinion) is the front-page index.  They have editting disabled right
> > now, but do you know if they're manually maintaining that index or doing
> > it programmatically?  If they're maintaining it manually (which is my
> > impression, given I can't see any pattern in page categories, etc), then
> > I'd suggest that anyone interested should create a new page in the wiki
> > -- NewMainPage, or something, and put together a draft.  It also might
> > be interesting to revamp http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Developer
> > only, as a better Developer index.
>
> Agree...I would vote to turn off passwords for now...and see what
> happens. I don't think there are enough people committing or looking at
> the wiki to create that much spam, but maybe I'm wrong.
>

> > > A question that I have is the use of SourceForge as a base for the code
> > > at the moment. Personally I have explicitly chosen not to use
> > > SourceForge because of it becoming sluggish and less flexible. I'm using
> > > berlios.de, a german based FLOSS deposit and it feels a lot less sluggy
> > > than SF.
> >
> > Yeah, their mailing list archives suck (hence the ibiblio cc-devel
> > list), but we don't have the bandwidth to maintain developer
> > infrastructure internally, and I haven't seen anything so compelling as
> > to justify the pain of moving (but I can be convinced).
>
> gmane also sucks up the sf.net archives, so that they are searchable,
> graphed, and google-able.

Where are we at with any of these changes...I think we need to get the
web infrastructure up here asap. How can I help?

I added a first run at the Development Community page. I think this
sounds like a good name for the development community:

Creative Commons Development Community (CCDC)

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Development_Community

Mike, can we get dev.creativecommons.org to point to this page.

Also, can we get the made development page,
http://www.creativecommons.org/technology/ to have a header that goes to
this page. This could just be a box that says, click here to go to the
Creative Commons Development Community page.

Also, could the main page with the mailing lists be updated with the new
cc-devel list.

Are these changes okay? I really think that these need to be made before
more communication happens on the list (maybe these are slight
bottlenecks).

Jon

--
Jon Phillips