[cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Aug 11 12:40:42 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:40 -0500, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 11:08 +0200, Bjorn Wijers wrote:
> > > Hello everybody, I wonder how many ppl. we have on this list now.
>
> Just looked at the administration interface -- 17, including CC
> employees (Mike & I).
>
> > > My other thought is to have a subdomain for the dev community which
> > > points to our wiki pages as such: http://dev.creativecommons.org or
> > > http://devel.creativecommons.org What do you all think?
>
> I'm not sure how this is different than our current situation, where
> wiki.creativecommons.org hosts the Wiki.  I think a single Wiki is best
> for us organizationally at this point, so dev.creativecommons.org would
> at most just be a mirror for wiki.cc.org.

Right, it would just be a line in apache to direct to the wiki page for
developers. So, no new wiki.

> > As for the wiki itself I would like to strive to a wiki structure as
> > made by the Wordpress people. Their wiki rocks! See
> > http://codex.wordpress.org
>
> Yeah, they have great documentation.  90% of what makes it great (in my
> opinion) is the front-page index.  They have editting disabled right
> now, but do you know if they're manually maintaining that index or doing
> it programmatically?  If they're maintaining it manually (which is my
> impression, given I can't see any pattern in page categories, etc), then
> I'd suggest that anyone interested should create a new page in the wiki
> -- NewMainPage, or something, and put together a draft.  It also might
> be interesting to revamp http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Developer
> only, as a better Developer index.

Agree...I would vote to turn off passwords for now...and see what
happens. I don't think there are enough people committing or looking at
the wiki to create that much spam, but maybe I'm wrong.

> > A question that I have is the use of SourceForge as a base for the code
> > at the moment. Personally I have explicitly chosen not to use
> > SourceForge because of it becoming sluggish and less flexible. I'm using
> > berlios.de, a german based FLOSS deposit and it feels a lot less sluggy
> > than SF.
>
> Yeah, their mailing list archives suck (hence the ibiblio cc-devel
> list), but we don't have the bandwidth to maintain developer
> infrastructure internally, and I haven't seen anything so compelling as
> to justify the pain of moving (but I can be convinced).

gmane also sucks up the sf.net archives, so that they are searchable,
graphed, and google-able.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips