[cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Aug 11 12:32:39 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 00:08 +1000, Conrad Parker wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:08:08AM +0200, Bjorn Wijers wrote:
> > > Hello everybody, I wonder how many ppl. we have on this list now.
> >
> > At least 2 :)
>
> 3 :)
>
> > > Ok, so to further encourage developers, this page that is from the main
> > > page of the CC site, http://creativecommons.org/technology/ , should
> > > have a big section at the top that details how to participate in the
> > > community.
>
> totally, building the developer community is important for getting
> widespread tools support.
>
> With tools support, it's easier for content authors to license their
> work properly.
>
> > A question that I have is the use of SourceForge as a base for the code
> > at the moment. Personally I have explicitly chosen not to use
> > SourceForge because of it becoming sluggish and less flexible. I'm using
> > berlios.de, a german based FLOSS deposit and it feels a lot less sluggy
> > than SF.
> >
> > Does it make any sense to reconsider SF as a code deposit? Out of
> > curiosity, what are your experiences with SF?
>
> I agree that SF is slow, and CVS is a fairly poor choice for new
> projects.

Ok, for the larger CC Develoment Community, there is no need for a
project space at present. Rather, per-project spinoff, the needs should
be weighed per project. As I have said before, it is best to focus on
the goal of the project rather than using bleeding edge or untried
technologies or sites. And, while sf.net and CVS might be old or slow,
they work and will be around. However, subversion is much improved over
CVS IMO and that is one great tool.

> I recently moved some of my projects' repositories off sourceforge,
> namely sweep.sf.net and remix.sf.net -- these are now (fairly) happily
> living in svn.metadecks.org, with bug tracking etc. in
> http://trac.metadecks.org/
>
> Let's do stuff that rocks. I'm keen to help develop libcclicense, and
> have contributed to the spec at
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Libcclicense

Great!

> I'd be very happy to keep code for new projects like this at somewhere like
> berlios, which has Subversion and somewhat speedier access. I'd be even
> happier to help set up an svn and trac combo at svn.creativecommons.org
> and trac.creativecommons.org :)

Yeah, hosting on the cc server might be the best option, however, there
are already project servers setup and it seems that CC's development
budget and time might already be strapped.

Jon

--
Jon Phillips

San Francisco, CA