[cc-devel] Creative Commons Consolidation of Developer Pages

Bjorn Wijers mailings at bdisfunctional.net
Thu Aug 11 05:08:08 EDT 2005

> Hello everybody, I wonder how many ppl. we have on this list now.

At least 2 :)

> Ok, so to further encourage developers, this page that is from the main
> page of the CC site, http://creativecommons.org/technology/ , should
> have a big section at the top that details how to participate in the
> community.
>
> Basically, this technology page should stay the same, but at the top
> have in a box or something (so that it stands out):
>
> Join the CC Development Community
>
> Please join the CC Development Community by participating on the
> following three communication channels. The mission of CC Development
> Community is to support development of Creative Commons standards.
>
> * Chat Channel
>
>     Log onto #cc on irc.freenode.net. Then some links to irchelp.net
>     and other irc apps. for people to use.
>
> * Mailing List
>
>     Link to the mailing list sign-up
>     http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-devel
>
> * Wiki: http://dev.creativecommons.org (see next para)
>

> My other thought is to have a subdomain for the dev community which
> points to our wiki pages as such: http://dev.creativecommons.org or
> http://devel.creativecommons.org What do you all think?

I agree that we should make the development page more 'friendly' and
invitating for dev folks. As for the subdomain I would prefer dev
instead of devel...its shorter and less prone to typo's.

> How else can the site point to the development community?

Another thing we need to add to the pages IMHO is a distinct link on the
http://creativecommons.org/technology/ page to the development projects
themselves and not burry them in the wiki. So people interested in the
technical sides of CCPublisher know that a thing like CCPublisher is
available and is looking for developers.

As for the wiki itself I would like to strive to a wiki structure as
made by the Wordpress people. Their wiki rocks! See
http://codex.wordpress.org

> I think these things need to be done before there is any announcement
> about these pages, etc.

I agree.

A question that I have is the use of SourceForge as a base for the code
at the moment. Personally I have explicitly chosen not to use
SourceForge because of it becoming sluggish and less flexible. I'm using
berlios.de, a german based FLOSS deposit and it feels a lot less sluggy
than SF.

Does it make any sense to reconsider SF as a code deposit? Out of
curiosity, what are your experiences with SF?

grtz
BjornW