[cc-community] How should I handle NC expiration?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Fri Mar 15 10:38:23 EDT 2013

On Friday 15 March 2013 09:53:23 Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> I actually think Bruce's suggestion is much more practical, and
> doesn't involve any sort of modification of the license, nor does it
> require people to keep track of dates or dual licensing, all of which
> are confusing.  It seems to me of very little practical use, for
> someone who is looking for a BY or BY-SA work, to receive a work under
> BY-NC-SA and read that it can be used as BY-SA only, say, one year
> from some particular date.

I disagree. A binding future release under a Free license is more valuable
than that possible future release.

One clear example. What if the creator dies before the intended Free release
date?

> Are they going to tuck the work away in
> some folder and set a calendar reminder for themselves to look at the
> work again one year later to see if it is still relevant to them?  I
> seriously doubt it.  It seems to me that when people are looking for
> works they can reuse, they are looking for works they can reuse in the
> way they want *right now*, not at some future date.

Not so. I could to my work now when inspired and release now with a Freedom on
the set date if I choose.

> As Bruce
> mentions, simply release the work under BY-NC-SA, and then when you
> are satisfied that you no longer care about commercializing the work,
> then republish it under BY-SA. That could be 5 years later, or it
> could even be weeks later.

Giving a binding Free release tow yours from now will not prevent you from
changing your mind and making that Free release early. I will just prevent
you from changing your mind and making that Free release later.