[cc-community] Free Mickey Mouse - The Disney Way

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Mar 7 01:41:27 EST 2013

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:18:49 +1300
Bruce Kingsbury <zcat at zcat.geek.nz> wrote:

> > Thanks for the insight! A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small
> > step, but naturally doesn't stop there and you need many more steps.
>
> Disney is one of the big proponents behind perpetual copyright
> extension and Mickey is the main justification for it, by promoting
> the completely false idea that if the original "steamboat willie"
> cartoons fall out of copyright, Disney would automatically lose their
> Mickey Mouse trademark.

Right. Which is why I think it's time to put the character of Mickey Mouse
under CC-by - the Disney way, and admit it's a good idea.

> Copyright and trademark are almost completely unrelated things of
> course, but the confusion exists because people use terms like
> 'intellectual property'.

Yes, indeed. I dislike the term 'intellectual property' too.

> Freeing Mickey Mouse isn't a small or even large step, it's almost the
> entire journey.

That's what I meant by the journey: freeing Mickey Mouse. The first step in that
was sending the original message in this thread to cc-community, but there will
be many more steps. It won't be easy, but hopefully it will in general be a lot
of fun. After that, I'd like to undertake many other journies. If you support
my cause, please reply or retweet, etc:

* https://twitter.com/shlomif/status/309322418562924546

* http://www.facebook.com/shlomi.fish/posts/561211083897163

Regards,