[cc-community] Rant about CC licenses

Bruce Kingsbury zcat at zcat.geek.nz
Wed Dec 18 20:29:38 EST 2013

That's a metadata problem.

Probably the best way of dealing with it is to come up with a standard
copyright/copyleft XML format flexible enough to recognize timed release
and a way of tagging any file format with said XML. Then we can write
search engines that interpret that format so a search for public domain
emails will identify Gisle's email correctly. It will only show un in a
CC-BY search today, it will show up in a search for CC0 messages next year
because we read the XML and know that it's CC0 for any date after 20131231.

This is a problem to be solved by programmers, not by lawyers or new
licenses. The existing licenses handle this perfectly well.