[cc-community] Rant about CC licenses

Eric Hellman eric at hellman.net
Wed Dec 18 09:34:31 EST 2013

Engel,

The language came from my lawyer; I had a similar reaction as you did, but legal language is not my field. I'd be very interested to hear other opinions!

My understanding is that any of the CC licenses depend for their force on the licensee being able to document the proper conveyance of the license, which is problematic if they have not been conveyed the license by the rights holder. So in practice, there's not so much difference. At least until we get some cryptographic signing conventions in place.

Eric