[cc-community] [cc-licenses] Rant about CC licenses

Mitar mmitar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 20:46:34 EST 2013

Hi!

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> Copyright is a lot more than a "copying" right. It's a whole collection
> of other moral rights and protections.

Of course. There are limitations what CC0 license can do. But is it
because there are limitations we should not be using it? Or building
new additional tools upon it?

People can use your work and change name on your work after 50 years
after your death or not? So will you care then? Why you then care now?
I do understand and see that CC community see attribution as something
very sacred, but maybe it the pursuit of this ideal you are cutting of
other possibilities? You know, in the time of Internet, maybe it is
easy to find who was original author of some work:

https://www.tineye.com/

And if we cannot find it, maybe it is so different from the original
work that it is a new work.

But your arguments are completely valid. We should be thinking about
how the copyright legislation should look like and try to achieve
that. And currently we are not thinking about time dimension at all.
So that author might want something initially and then something else
after few years. We do not educate authors about that at all. We
educate about remixing, sharing, copyleft. But not about expiration.
Which means that people are taking practically infinite protection
time as something taken for granted. How we will then ever get any
support on changing those terms, if we do never tell people that, you
know, you could also choose something shorter. And that maybe it would
be wise to do something shorter. Do you really need that -NC 50 years
after your death? What about -NC only for 10 years. And then give it
to other people to try to make profit out of it if they can.

> I also don't see why right now you can't write
>
> "CC-NC-NoDerivs, after 2019 you may also use this work CC-BY-NoDerivs"
>
> or similar. As far as I can see as a non lawyer that still forms a
> binding promise for legal purposes.

You can probably write, but it would lack helping the IP community
getting statistics about how many people would agree on shorter
copyright term protection.

Mitar

--
http://mitar.tnode.com/