[cc-community] [cc-licenses] Rant about CC licenses

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Dec 16 12:58:41 EST 2013

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:08:52 -0500
Eric Hellman <eric at hellman.net> wrote:

> Please note that CC licenses, including CC0 are NOT revocable. Read the code.

That depends upon what is licensed and what the local law is. Various
legal systems have enshrined rights to relicense, particularly with
respect to music.

CC0 is not always useful and the notion of "shorter copyright" is a bit
of a large blunt way of approaching a complex problem. It's noticable for
example that many countries have rights that transcend copyright or do
not transfer or expire in the same way. There are good reasons for this
based upon several hundred years of practical debugging of the system.

Liability disclaimers also preclude public domain for some types of work
as do very neccessary patent defence arrangements.

I've produced plenty of work where five years down the line I don't care
if someone makes copies. I do on the other hand care if they change the
name on it, or rewrite it to imply different things without saying so.

Copyright is a lot more than a "copying" right. It's a whole collection
of other moral rights and protections.

I also don't see why right now you can't write

"CC-NC-NoDerivs, after 2019 you may also use this work CC-BY-NoDerivs"

or similar. As far as I can see as a non lawyer that still forms a
binding promise for legal purposes.

Alan