[cc-community] CC0 badge image is not CC0

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Sun Dec 15 11:06:50 EST 2013

Hi Michael,

Our trademarks and logos are not licensed under 4.0.  See
http://creativecommons.org/policies.  While our /policies page is in need
of updating (look for that early next year), the CC0 buttons and logos may
be used by anyone in the same manner our other license buttons may be used.
 You and the public are given permission to use that button to point to CC0
on our server or use it to describe a work under CC0.  You may do so in an
online environment so long as you don't alter or remove the embedded
hyperlink.

For more info on why CC chooses not to release our logos and trademarks
under a copyright license, see this FAQ:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Could_I_use_a_CC_license_to_share_my_logo_or_trademark.3F

Again, we'll be updating the policies page the first of next year and will
be clearer that it applies to all CC logos and buttons, not just those
specifically listed.  Thanks for checking.

Diane

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Michael Biggs
<cccommunity at doubleplum.net>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am releasing a website under CC0.  To indicate it is CC0, I would like to
> use a copy of the CC0 badge image:
> http://i.creativecommons.org/p/zero/1.0/88x31.png .  I don't *need* to use
> the image, but I think it is a nice touch to help describe the work as CC0.
> After all, that's why it's there.
>
> However, it appears to me that the badge image is licensed by Creative
> Commons as CC-BY-4.0,  i.e. the image is NOT CC0.  So if it were included
> on
> my site, then I could not write "this website is CC0".  Instead I might
> have
> to say "this website is CC0 except for the image that says 'Public Domain'
> which itself is under a more restrictive license."  That is
> counter-intuitive at best!
>
> Would the Creative Commons be willing to release the CC0 badge images under
> CC0 instead?  This would empower users of the CC0 to use the CC's
> promotional materials without burdening those same works with more
> complicated and restrictive licensing.  As the CC is well aware, releasing
> the image under CC0 would not affect the CC's use of trademarks to protect
> the integrity of license designation/recognition.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> __
> Michael Biggs

Diane M. Peters, CC General Counsel
http://creativecommons.org/staff#dianepeters
diane at creativecommons.org <email%3Adiane at creativecommons.org>

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be legal
advice nor should they be relied upon as, or represented to be legal
advice.