[cc-community] iTunes By-SA distribution?

Cc cc at phizz.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 15:25:27 EDT 2013

As I recall the questions in the survey were atrociously framed, and
didn't capture the nuances. There are a two broad categories of ads
appearing on a website:

1) The hosting site puts them there eg LiveJournal.
2) The re-user is causing them to appear there to help pay for server costs.

I have no problem with the first case. The primary purpose of the re-use
is to illustrate a personal blog.

As for the second case there are web pages which are simply photos
gathered from web that are surrounded by Google Ads, the primary purpose
of the re-use is to garner ad revenue - this is commercial. There are
web pages that are adjunct to some commercial enterprise the primary
purpose of the web page is to support some commercial activity. Then
there are web pages where people are offsetting some hosting costs and
otherwise the re-use is non-commercial.

As some one who exclusively uses the NC license for images, my take on
ads on webpages is to ask "What is the primary purpose of the reuse?" In
99% of cases the issue is clear cut, and almost certainly a good faith
re-user knows whether they have crossed the commercial line. If they are
not clear then simply ask.