[cc-community] [cc-licenses] Serial Numbers and clarification of terms

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Dec 26 17:55:22 EST 2011

I could support something like this if it were mandatory for NC (and
possibly for ND) licenses.  It would need to work something like this:

The conditions of an NC license initially apply for one year.  This
time can be renewed at any time and as many times as desired.  The
renewal lasts for one year *from the date of the renewal* (i.e. it
doesn't get tacked on to the end).  At the time of renewal, it is
expected that you provide up to date contact information.  It is
expected that you respond in good faith to requests for clarification
or additional permissions made using this contact information.  This
contact information might be an email address, which is kept private,
but for which there is a form on a CC website which people can use to
send a message to this address.

After the initial year and any applicable renewal periods have run,
the license reverts to CC0, CC-BY, or CC-BY-SA (at your option, with
the choice made at the time of original registration).

That said, I think this is too complicated for 4.0.  I'm not even sure
how it would work legally.  You'd probably have to make a copyright
assignment to a third party non-profit/trust (but then you'd have to
deal with the issues of transfer termination).