[cc-community] Why it is not a good idea to discourage CC-NC or CC-ND

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 17:52:01 EST 2011

On 21/12/11 03:44, Anthony wrote:

> Well, it's not what NC says.  But it was never realistic to begin with.

It might not be what the NC says, but that is the way that some
organizations treat it.  And as such, switching to NC licenses
represents a rationalization, and simplification of the numerous
licenses out there that require distribution to be gratis.

> But if you want Mary to have a copy, you don't want a cut of the
> profit, and you don't want to (or can't) print the book yourself to
> give it to Mary, and so you want to tell Mary to either spend $20 to
> print her own copy or do without the book altogether?

The reason the content is to be distributed gratis, is so that nobody
has to replicate the experience of Mary Jones, and use money that they
don't have, to obtain that content.

Granted, there are organization that pirate/steal, or otherwise obtain
that content, for the sole purpose of selling/bartering that content.
The affected organizations are, to the extent that local laws allow,
trying to eliminate that problem.

> I'm not sure how to phrase this nicely.  If that's your thought
> process...I don't want to be any part of helping you get your way.

There are those that see the use of money as flaw of the material world,
and as such its use is to be discouraged,when it can not be eliminated.

jonathon

  *
  * English

  * English