[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 21 23:26:44 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 December 2011 19:27:05 Anthony wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Maciej Pendolski
>>
>> <beholder0x100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Frankly speaking, It's hard for me to image what
>> > practical situation there could be (other than a snowglobe) where I
>> > might want that part of GPLv3 dropped.
>>
>> What about DVDs?  They have copy protection, right?  Is it now going
>> to be copyright infringement to release a CC-BY-SA movie on a
>> CSS-encrypted DVD?
>
> Do you have a problem with that? If so, what is it? (Those are both honest
> questions. I may not have thought of something here.) You need to be able to
> make a BY-SA derivative of my BY-SA work and then make it illegal for people
> to copy it? Some other reason to put such encryption on a BY-SA work?

The reason to put such encryption on a BY-SA work is so that it plays
in DVD players (my understanding is that at least some DVD players
will not play unencrypted DVDs).

And my problem is exactly the opposite of wanting to make things illegal.

To my mind the CC-BY-SA trade should be a simple one.  Don't sue
people, and people won't sue you.