[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 20:02:24 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:27 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> What about DVDs?  They have copy protection, right?  Is it now going
> to be copyright infringement to release a CC-BY-SA movie on a
> CSS-encrypted DVD?

Mike was faster than me by a few seconds :)

What about BluRay disc? They can't be upgraded and AFAIK they contain
some stripped-down JavaVM (or was it only planned?). I guess I would
prefer that part of GPLv3 to be dropped and not allow a completely
locked system like this one. Having in my plans games in which I would
be "bashing" some people, institutions, ... I simply don't want some
of those people to be ablet to create an anti-version and have the
sole right to use it on some platform (which would I guess mean
iPhone, PS3, X360, Wii, BluRay, ... (some of those require a company
to be able to sign a contract in the first place)). I'm sure there
would be some ways around even the most "perfect" licence and I'm
quite sure that CC-BY-ND, or something like that, would give me a lot
more peace of mind but I don't want to lock my future works (copyright
for 70 years after death of an author is a massive overkill).