[cc-community] DRM (was Re: What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?)

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Dec 21 19:42:53 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Maciej Pendolski
> <beholder0x100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Frankly speaking, It's hard for me to image what
>> practical situation there could be (other than a snowglobe) where I
>> might want that part of GPLv3 dropped.
>
> What about DVDs?  They have copy protection, right?  Is it now going
> to be copyright infringement to release a CC-BY-SA movie on a
> CSS-encrypted DVD?

Isn't it now? (Assuming you mean distribute a movie in compliance with
CC-BY-SA; of course sole copyright holder can offer under CC-BY-SA and
do whatever else they want.)

"You may not impose any effective technological measures on the Work
that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of the
License."

Mike

(I have no opinion on the parent thread about tivoization yet, as I
haven't read most of it yet.)