[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 21 19:36:31 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Maciej Pendolski
<beholder0x100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> For instance, if I make map tiles under CC-BY-SA, someone could make
>> derivative map tiles under CC-BY-SA with the opt in, and then I'd need
>> to get a lawyer to check whether or not I could use those derivative
>> tiles in an iPhone app?
>
> If you would not allow user to load custom tile set then it would be
> illegal so I can see why you would not want it.

Would not want what?  I certainly don't want it to be illegal for me
to write map software which doesn't allow custom tile sets!

> And in my situation
> (of a complete game) I would want it (with reasoning in my first
> post). Our goals seam to be mutually exclusive so I see no good choice
> here.

The good choice is to keep CC-BY-SA the way it is, and if people want
something different, they can create their own license.

Maybe work with the FSF.  This seems like something that'd be more in
line with what they do.