[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:27:35 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> For instance, if I make map tiles under CC-BY-SA, someone could make
> derivative map tiles under CC-BY-SA with the opt in, and then I'd need
> to get a lawyer to check whether or not I could use those derivative
> tiles in an iPhone app?

If you would not allow user to load custom tile set then it would be
illegal so I can see why you would not want it. And in my situation
(of a complete game) I would want it (with reasoning in my first
post). Our goals seam to be mutually exclusive so I see no good choice
here. Of course it might be that for most people / use cases the stock
and for greater openness CC-BY-SA and I'll simply have to live with
that (or keep copyright to my engine and release the official version
on a platform which I very much dislike).