[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:17:34 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:

> A game engine would neither be the operating system nor an object code
> interpreter, it would be part of the work as a whole. The scripting
> engine of a game engine would not firewall the game engine (especially
> if it exposes internal data structures or functions). The "system" is
> clearly the operating system, not the program.

As for the object code thing, scripts can be compiled to bytecode
which according to GPL is an object code because "“Object code” means
any non-source form of a work."

I'm not entirely sure what an operating system is (yeah, let's
redefine every single word in a dictionary). Everything is fine when
emulator of a machine is used. So a piece of software running in an
operating system would be hosting another operating system within the
former. I'm not sure how to treat it. And where is a line. GPL
mentions kernel and window system. You can run Linux in text mode or
in one of GUI systems. I have no clue how to look at it.