[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 19:05:38 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:55 AM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:

> If the anti-Tivoising CC-BY-SA parallels the way I understand the GPL to work,
> yes you could so long as the manufacturer could not change the BY-SA file
> after manufacture either. If they had a way to, you would need a way to. If
> they actually baked it in so that it could not be changed, they would be
> cool.
>
> Is this how we would want the anti-Tivoising CC-BY-SA to work though?

I have written in my second post in this thread (or maybe I was not
clear) that I guess I would not want that part about manufacturer not
being able to change anything so that installation would always have
to be possible. And in the iPhone situation it is possible for a
developer to update game so even with that element still in place I
guess I would be happy but only for iPhone and similar devices. There
are some "gaming devices" (cheap and ugly) where hard-coded stuff is
installed. But even there if a firmware update would be possible then
it would all be fine. Frankly speaking, It's hard for me to image what
practical situation there could be (other than a snowglobe) where I
might want that part of GPLv3 dropped. It would have to be would be a
short-shelf-life gadget or something like that. I'm not sure.