[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 18:56:13 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Maciej Pendolski
> <beholder0x100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have no idea what is legally possible.
>
> But you want CC to adopt it for CC-BY-SA?

Something roughly similar an opt-in so it's not like everyone would be
using this clause.

> I shouldn't need a lawyer to distribute a CC-BY-SA song embedded in a snowglobe.

Well. If I correctly understand myself, if your music player (I'm
going to do a software analogy here) would be open then there would be
no problems. By open I mean: If you simply make a software music
player or something else for a non-closed operating system (meaning
anyone can do add and use any files they want) then you would be fine.
I'm only guessing that you can transfer your files to an iPhone and
use them (I don't have one. I don't know how much locked it is) then
your player there would be fine as well. In both situations I'm
assuming that it is not that your player can play only selected music
files and nothing. Then you would be in a trouble. And same would
apply to hardware. If this would be doable at all in the first place.
Perhaps you should ask about a specific case of use but I guess that
if you are not locking something and the operating system/... on which
your system works in not locking it as well then everything should be
fine. And again, we new a lawyer here, I might be talking nonsense.

> I assume you answered this in another thread, but I missed it.  Why
> don't you just license game content+scripts under [A]GPL?

Well, I haven't addressed it yet I guess (or not well enough). Let's
say that I'm making a game with a story and all that. And then someone
wants to create an animated film based on that game while at the same
time want to use some CC-BY-SA assets (additional meshes, some
selected music, ...). I would prefer all "art" content to be under one
and same licence so that everyone could use it and share without
creation of 2 camps: CC-BY-SA and [A]GPL.
Another thing is a requirement of a source code which does not really
translate well to all content or can be an issue. E.g. should someone
release a photo (used for a texture) in the original resolution and in
a raw format with no camera post-processing?