[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Dec 21 18:55:49 EST 2011

On Wednesday 21 December 2011 18:10:59 Rob Myers wrote:
> On 21/12/11 23:06, Maciej Pendolski wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> >> Would I be able to use a CC-BY-SA song in a musical snowglobe under this
> >> provision?
> >
> > A super-cheap micro-controller with an SD card support added +
> > super-cheap SD card should do the trick (could read the first midi
> > file on card). You could do it for few bucks (I think. I'm not sure
> > about internals) but if it is mass produced then it could be a lot
> > cheaper. ... Now I want one :) I could stuff it with days of midi
> > music to annoy everyone :)
>
> Actually yes I would like one as well now you mention it. :-)
>
> *But*.
>
> Let us say I mass-produce them. No SD slot or any digital or analogue
> ports, just an un-modifiable PCB and a cheap piezo speaker. You can hear
> the music, and record it using a microphone, but you cannot access the
> CC-BY-SA file without essentially destroying the PCB.
>
> Can I do that if the file is covered by anti-Tivoising CC-BY-SA?

If the anti-Tivoising CC-BY-SA parallels the way I understand the GPL to work,
yes you could so long as the manufacturer could not change the BY-SA file
after manufacture either. If they had a way to, you would need a way to. If
they actually baked it in so that it could not be changed, they would be
cool.

Is this how we would want the anti-Tivoising CC-BY-SA to work though?