[cc-community] [cc-licenses] Articulating the commons: a leaderful approach

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Dec 21 18:13:33 EST 2011

On 21/12/11 04:42, Heather Morrison wrote:

> -	free for the 99%

This would work against redistribution of wealth.

> -	free for anyone aiming for social and environmental justice

This would work against critique of corporations and governments.

> -	free to anyone not lobbying for restrictive copyright laws

This would prevent those lobbying establishing business models that
would make their lobbying unnecessary.

> -	free to anyone who has never sued a customer

Even if the customer was in the wrong?

> -	free to use with respect

This would work against parody, satire, and critique of ideology in the
public arena.

The examples above are not examples of freedom, they are examples of
restrictions.

Copyleft creates a commons by preventing enclosure (at the level of
copyright). CC0/BY create an "unmanaged commons". NC and ND do not
create commons, they create allotments.

If we wish to strengthen the commons, we should promote BY-SA, BY, and
CC0. We should not promote the existing restrictive licenses or produce
new restrictions.

- Rob.