[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Dec 21 18:10:59 EST 2011

On 21/12/11 23:06, Maciej Pendolski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
>> Would I be able to use a CC-BY-SA song in a musical snowglobe under this
>> provision?
>
> A super-cheap micro-controller with an SD card support added +
> super-cheap SD card should do the trick (could read the first midi
> file on card). You could do it for few bucks (I think. I'm not sure
> about internals) but if it is mass produced then it could be a lot
> cheaper. ... Now I want one :) I could stuff it with days of midi
> music to annoy everyone :)

Actually yes I would like one as well now you mention it. :-)

*But*.

Let us say I mass-produce them. No SD slot or any digital or analogue
ports, just an un-modifiable PCB and a cheap piezo speaker. You can hear
the music, and record it using a microphone, but you cannot access the
CC-BY-SA file without essentially destroying the PCB.

Can I do that if the file is covered by anti-Tivoising CC-BY-SA?

- Rob.