[cc-community] What are your thoughts on [opt-in] anti-tivoization in CC-BY-SA 4.0?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Wed Dec 21 17:35:00 EST 2011

On 21/12/11 21:55, Maciej Pendolski wrote:

> Could anti-tivoization harm other types of content? I'm sure you could
> come up with some situations.

Would I be able to use a CC-BY-SA song in a musical snowglobe under this
provision?

http://www.amazon.com/Reed-Barton-Silent-Musical-Snowglobe/dp/B003L9QDIA/

I know it sounds like like a silly question, but the snowglobe was a
very useful thought experiment during the CC 3.0 revision discussions on
this list. :-)

> What if an opt-in anti-tivoization would
> be implemented in CC-BY-SA? Then it would be business as usual for
> existing content but choice would be given for new content. What are
> your thoughts on that?

I'm very wary of opt-in or opt-out as it creates incompatible pools of
work under what appears to be the same license. New measures, if any,
should simply be added to the new version.

- Rob.