[cc-community] publicity rights (was Re: NC/ND)

cc at phizz.demon.co.uk cc at phizz.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 17:20:32 EST 2011

On 21/12/2011 17:40, drew Roberts wrote:

> How does it apply to real world "little" people like me?
>
> If I go to Europe to visit friends and take photos in the streets, parks, at
> the beach, etc. Can I legally post them to my own personal website/domain? In
> a little album type app? Can I put a BY-SA license on those photos if I
> choose to? Can I post them to flickr or facebook? What about a video shot in
> a park posted to youtube? To my site?

Germany is the most stringent. You are allowed to photograph and publish
crowd scenes even if every one is in sharp focus and clearly
identifiable. You are not allowed to zero in and pick out one or two
people as the main focus. Thus portraits not allowed, crowd scenes allowed.

As for France I've never had any problems, the law seems to be that you
can publish so long as the photo isn't harmful or insulting. IOW that
you haven't used the image in a derogatory way.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=france+street+photography