[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Bart Kelsey elbarto at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:02:00 EST 2011

Sure. :)

A generic game engine is a game engine which does not reference a
*specific* media file, or otherwise expect the presence of that specific
media file in order to run.

(For the record, I'm using games as an example because they're the most
common one, but I could come up with non-game examples, such as
non-interactive Adobe Flash animations, if need be.  My point is that this
isn't strictly a games-only thing.)

To clarify the definition, there are a lot of cases where game engines are
separate from the game "scripts" and media that tell the game what files to
load and what to do with those files.  A game engine that's separate from
its scripts and media is generic if you could pass it a completely
different set of scripts and media and it would still work (albeit as a
completely different game).  In these cases, though, the *scripts* that
reference the media files would trigger the strong copyleft even if the
engine does not.

For further clarification, there are some game engines (generally fairly
simple ones) that don't have a script layer, and instead just load all
their media files directly.  These engines *would* trigger the copyleft,
since they make direct reference to the licensed media.

Does that make sense?

Bart