[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:29:41 EST 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> But what if the setup was: load whatever file you find in the loadme.txt file.
> Then in that file the engine creator put the actual name they wanted loaded.
> Is this really far from just having the engine load that particular file
> itself?

And this can get even "simpler". With a tiny change to the code
(sometimes no change is needed) an engine binary could be executed in
a different working directory to load different game [data].

How does a directory layout differ e.g. from XML layout? Those are
simply data layout formats. It doesn't matter much (IMO) if is it
"./data/motorbike.mesh" file access or
<vehicle>motorbike.mesh</vehicle> or whatever. Simply renaming
"./data/motorbike.mesh" access request (which can be done in no time)
to "./data/vehicle" and then using "my_game" directory as working
directory with motorbike.mesh->vehicle would make it as generic as an
equivalent XML. Some data layout format is always in use.