[cc-community] publicity rights (was Re: NC/ND)

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Dec 21 14:14:59 EST 2011

On Wednesday 21 December 2011 13:46:43 Alan Cox wrote:
> > > applies to sensitive data and it seems that nobody realised the hole
> > > they were digging when the various rules were passed.
> >
> > So what do the sports stadiums over that way do currently? Print a
> > license/permission on the back of all tickets sold?
>
> Their CCTV will be registered with data protection officials, and they
> won't be publishing the data except in the event of crimes to the police
> (which is naturally enough permissible under DP rules).

I am not speaking of the CCTV, I am talking of the broadcast feeds that get
shown on televisions all around the world. I do watch some premier league
games here on the odd occasion for instance but I must admit, I have never
paid attention to whether they ever show a close enough shot on the crowd to
identify individuals that you may know.

> > Do people travelling to Europe need to be warned not to take any photos
> > with people they don't know in the frame? Or warned just not to post them
> > anywhere online? Something in between?
>
> As with any country or state you should ascertain both the cultural and
> legal situation. Even within the US there are state laws to be careful
> of, while in some cultures taking still photographs of some subjects will
> get you beaten up even if its legal.

It does seem to be getting a bit out of hand if in supposedly Free countries
one is not allowed to take vacation photos in public spaces.

> > Or is the law so broken that it cannot be followed?
>
> Its certainly a bit dysfunctional - but how that is viewed rather depends
> on which European state/cultural grouping is involved. Remember Europe is
> not a single bland country.

I know that Europe is not one country but wasn't the reference that kicked of
this (sub?)thread to a European directive/law?