[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Bart Kelsey elbarto at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:34:25 EST 2011

Seems fairly clear to me.  This goes back to what Chris said about layers.
Something like ScummVM is a generic program.  Nothing in ScummVM (that I'm
aware of, anyway) references a specific piece of media.  The scripts and
such that run *on top* of ScummVM reference specific pieces of media,
though, and would as such fall under these provisions.

Some games are layered as follows:

Engine -> Media

In these cases, the engine pretty much *has to* reference the media
directly, or else it won't know what to load.

Other games are layered like:

Engine -> Script -> Media

In those cases, the *scripts* generally reference the media directly, so
the scripts would fall under the provision and the engine would not.

When I say "references directly", what I mean is that there's some
instruction to load a specific media file.

I really can't think of an instance where this isn't completely clear-cut.
Either a program references a specific media file, or it doesn't.

Ultimately, what this would ensure is that, even if the media were released
with a proprietary engine, the engine would have to have an open and easily
modifiable script layer, so at the very least:

* The script layer, if it exists, would be under a libre license,
* The engine would have to be moddable, and
* The engine could theoretically be replaced with an open source
implementation.