[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Wed Dec 21 12:44:28 EST 2011

On Wednesday 21 December 2011 11:50:39 Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> writes:
> > What problems do you see with the approach suggested here:
> >
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2011-December/006439.html
>
> It's a nice idea, but I think it sounds very categorical, and I think
> that there's an almost-certain-chance that there's no way we'd be able
> to get it right, and we'd end up regretting that in the long run.
> Keeping things simple is still important.

Can you actually address the idea with some examples of benefits, problems?

> On that note, at the moment we already have some categorical
> information in the licenses:
>
>   For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical work,
>   performance or phonogram, the synchronization of the Work in
>   timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered an
>   Adaptation for the purpose of this License.
>
> This "avoidance of doubt" is helpful, but not very well encompassing; it
> doesn't categorically exclude other things as adaptations (and surely
> other things that aren't just videos are adaptations) but it helps make
> things clearer in one potentially vague area but not a lot of others.
> I'd like to see maybe this section either expanded or clarified in 4.0.

Well, isn't syncing based on specific copyright law that exists in the realm
of sound and video and not elsewhere? Doesn't this section of the license get
it's teeth from that part of the law? (Speaking from vast ignorance here.)