[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at creativecommons.org
Wed Dec 21 11:50:39 EST 2011

drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> writes:

> What problems do you see with the approach suggested here:
>
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-community/2011-December/006439.html

It's a nice idea, but I think it sounds very categorical, and I think
that there's an almost-certain-chance that there's no way we'd be able
to get it right, and we'd end up regretting that in the long run.
Keeping things simple is still important.

On that note, at the moment we already have some categorical
information in the licenses:

  For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical work,
  performance or phonogram, the synchronization of the Work in
  timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered an
  Adaptation for the purpose of this License.

This "avoidance of doubt" is helpful, but not very well encompassing; it
doesn't categorically exclude other things as adaptations (and surely
other things that aren't just videos are adaptations) but it helps make
things clearer in one potentially vague area but not a lot of others.
I'd like to see maybe this section either expanded or clarified in 4.0.

 - Chris