[cc-community] Why it is not a good idea to discourage CC-NC or CC-ND

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 20 22:44:22 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:16 PM, jonathon <jonathon.blake at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/12/11 03:11, Anthony wrote:
>
>> I still don't get it.  Where's the niche?
>
> Those who don't object to third party distribution, provided the
> recipient does not have to pay for either printing, distribution, or
> other fee in relation to receiving the content.
>
> OTOH, given the loopholes in the NC license, that ideal is more wishful
> thinking than reality.

Well, it's not what NC says.  But it was never realistic to begin with.

Bob can print copies of a book for $5.  It would cost Mary $20 to
print an equivalent copy of the same book.  Why not let Mary pay Bob
$10 to print a copy for her?  Mary saves $10.  Bob makes $5.

You, the author of the book, want a cut of the profit?  Fine.  That's
what ARR is for.  Have Bob kick you a couple bucks.  Mary saves $10.
Bob makes $3.  You make $2.

But if you want Mary to have a copy, you don't want a cut of the
profit, and you don't want to (or can't) print the book yourself to
give it to Mary, and so you want to tell Mary to either spend $20 to
print her own copy or do without the book altogether?

I'm not sure how to phrase this nicely.  If that's your thought
process...I don't want to be any part of helping you get your way.