[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Dec 20 19:37:34 EST 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:28:10 -0500
Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > In the
> > artwork case you can't stop me loading your NC photo into a non-free paid
> > for app.
>
> To load an NC photo into a non-free paid for app, you'd have to copy
> it, wouldn't you?

Yes but
- in most jurisdictions its a "necessary step" or similar such wording so
  unlikely to be counted as controlled by copyright.

- the act of loading it isn't breaking NC anyway I suspect

In the physical world you've got similar cases

A takes a photo under NC
B produces a big poster or two of the work under NC and gives them to C
C sells them for $50 each