[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 16:58:07 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Christopher Allan Webber
<cwebber at creativecommons.org> wrote:
>  1) A license which means that art *is* on the same layer/domain of
>    copyleft as code (this is what BartK is proposing, I'm sympathetic to
>    it but again think it's going to open up a worse can of worms than
>    it'll fix and is possibly even considered nonfree)

>From GPL FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL):

"If a programming language interpreter is released under the GPL, does
that mean programs written to be interpreted by it must be under
GPL-compatible licenses?

    When the interpreter just interprets a language, the answer is no.
The interpreted PROGRAM, to the interpreter, is JUST DATA; a free
software license like the GPL, based on copyright law, cannot limit
what data you use the interpreter on. You can run it on any data
(interpreted program), any way you like, and there are no requirements
about licensing that data to anyone."

>From GPL:
"The “source code” for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it."

So it seams that source code is just a specific ("preferred") form of
data according to FSF and the only question is whether data is
functional or not.