[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Maciej Pendolski beholder0x100 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 16:41:59 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Bart Kelsey <elbarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> For instance, if I submit a 3d
> model under the CC-BY-SA license and someone wants to use it in their
> closed-source game, right now they would be able to do that so long as they
> shared any changes they made to my 3d model.

Would it not mean that all game content would have to be under CC-BY-SA?

There seams to be no requirements in CC-BY-SA to release changes. It
is simply not allowed to restrict anyone from extracting this model
from game data files (or perhaps I'm looking at the wrong part of the
licence):
"When You Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work, You may not impose
any effective technological measures on the Work that restrict the
ability of a recipient of the Work from You to exercise the rights
granted to that recipient under the terms of the License."

GPL states that you must release changes in a source form, CC-BY-SA is
a lot less clear here.

It might be in a completely different format, there is no clear
requirement for extraction tools availability, what if format or
process of extraction is patented but a tool have been provided (then
only official extraction tool could be used where patent(s) would
apply), what if content is released only in a format encumbered by
patents (pretty much the same thing as previous one but not a custom
format. e.g. mp3 music and sounds, h264+aac cutscenes, textures using
one of patented image file formats, ...).

Some of those might not be too much of a problem but use of products
with licenced patents might be required and this could mean that an
expensive product might have to be purchased in order to be able to
get a modified version out.