[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Dec 20 16:27:26 EST 2011

On 20/12/11 20:53, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:14:25 +0000
> Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
>
>> On 20/12/11 19:50, Alan Cox wrote:
>>>
>>> I would personally be very surprised if a game that was no use without
>>> that artwork was in fact multiple independent works but I am not a lawyer
>>> and this area is definitely a lawyers minefield.
>>
>> Word isn't any use without a document to render or print.
>
> Demonstrably false. At some point in time there were no word documents
> and the first one was produced with it. This was useful.

Producing the first document to render or print made Word of use.
Sitting there with no data to operate on prior to that made it a very
expensive idle process.

My point is I'm not sure this is a useful distinction as we quickly end
up with special pleading for computer games, unintended consequences
elsewhere in "the creative industries", or both.

- Rob.