[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Bart Kelsey elbarto at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 16:01:40 EST 2011

Unfortunately, for something like this to be widely usable, we'll probably
need to get the FSF to consider it as well.  I'm going to jump into
code-speak here for a minute...

The GPL has two concepts are are of interest here:

* LINKING - this is where a program loads other code into memory, like when
making use of a library.  Non-GPLed code isn't allowed to *link* to GPLed
code.
* BUNDLING - this is where a number of distinct, separate programs are
distributed in the same archive.  GPLed code can be *bundled* with
non-GPLed code.

The FSF has declared in their clarifications of the GPL that including art
with a game is "bundling", which is fine for the purpose of the GPL
itself.  However, this also extends to their definition of free software,
which is where things get troublesome.  If an art license could specify a
specific set of conditions for programs that make use of the art in a
non-generic way, and the definition of free software could be expanded to
understand these kinds of provisions, as opposed to just tossing them in
with "bundling" (which is clearly different), then a license like this
could be very useful.

Again, I'm not necessarily saying that CC-BY-SA should be changed in this
way -- it's just that there's a separate and *very real* need for a license
like this, that no one is addressing.  I think part of the reason for this
is that the code and art communities don't really have a lot of respect for
one another, and so for the few of us who deal with both code and art,
there aren't a whole lot of options.  If the needs of people who deal with
both could be *recognized* by both sides, I think we'd be able to make some
progress on this.

Bart

P.S.  One time I tried to bring this up on debian-legal.  One person very
helpfully linked to a terse blog post (that they had written themselves)
telling me that if I want to create a new license, I should die and go to
hell.  I realize that license proliferation is an issue, but in some cases
I think the need is large enough that we need to look beyond the knee-jerk
NO NEW LICENSES response and ask why people are asking. :)