[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Dec 20 15:52:33 EST 2011

> distributing is a 3d model viewer, then that program itself is the work,
> whereas if you distribute a game that uses a 3D model, the entire *game*
> (including the assets therein) are the work.

I would disagree with that distinction as stated although I think the
sense is probably roughly right. It's not the one I've seen lawyers use
and furthermore if you consider a game engine then it's also not
necessarily true. It can be even more complex than that. Consider doom
and third party doom level designs.

> license, but in general it's very clear whether a piece of art is part of a
> game, or whether it's just something that's included with a viewer.

And in those cases it should be clear whether the -SA applies to it or
not.

Alan