[cc-community] Strengthening the CC-BY-SA copyleft with respect to code

Bart Kelsey elbarto at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:19:46 EST 2011

I addressed that exact point in a previous paragraph, although perhaps I
wasn't clear enough.  Here's what I said about that:

Now, what about something like a generic 3d model viewer?  Wouldn't this
sort of change prevent a program like that from being distributed with
CC-BY-SA licensed models?  The answer to this is that if the program you're
distributing is a 3d model viewer, then that program itself is the work,
whereas if you distribute a game that uses a 3D model, the entire *game*
(including the assets therein) are the work.

There's a clear distinction there between a generic application meant for
viewing any content, and a game where the content is part of the work.  I'd
appreciate it if we could actually spend time *really* examining this,
because it gets dismissed out of hand far, far too often (and this is the
exact argument used).  I don't see where this argument holds water,
honestly.  You can always come up with weird edge cases for a specific
license, but in general it's very clear whether a piece of art is part of a
game, or whether it's just something that's included with a viewer.

Bart